Monday, December 19, 2011

Dog Vs. Kitchen Aide

I really want a Dog. The household (5 adults) has been talking about getting a dog off and on for awhile now. The last two nights, I have had a dog or dogs in my dreams. I think a dog would be good to settle into the house, before the baby comes, instead of having to deal with adjusting when I already have a baby I am adjusting to. The household seems to agree with me. My mother who doesnt live here, thinks it is an absolutely ridiculous idea, that a dog will tie me down, be a financial burden(unseen vet bills), and I will be the only one responsible for it. I kinda broke down into tears after talking to her about it. Until earlier this year there was a Dog in this house, he was old and relaxed and easy to take care of, and he passed away as old dogs do. This house has always had dogs, and you can feel the sense of a missing piece where a dog should be. Yes, there is not a lot of space, there are three cats, of which at least one I have concerns about already. She is just a cranky almost bipolar cat, who tries to be dominate and correct all the other cats behaviour, and then stresses out about her lack of control... sound familiar? I am thinking I may want to find a new home for her, that she may be happier living as an only cat. Then again, I am not sure how abandoned she would feel if I rehomed her. If I am correcting anyone else's behaviour she comes running and intervenes with a swat if she feels it is required. She also is getting protective of me, and will swat anyone coming near me if I am in a bad mood. Will she end up swating the baby? What do I do then?

Back to the dog, I found one at the humane society that seems promising and kinda want to go meet him. Border Collie & Lab mix, which means required multiple daily walks, and most likely other training, because this dog doesnt do well when bored. DH's Mother is a former Vet Tech, who lives with us, says she would like to see the dog, and ascertain how much Border Collie is dominating the Dog's behaviour, as long as it isnt too Border Collie, it would be a good mix, not to neurotic, or requiring regular engaged training, but also smart and wanting to herd the kids, and fetch items in a helpful way, once taught. It is all about personality. Adoption fee is ~$290. Which brings up another thing, I broke the hand mixer last night. Well not completely broke, but it was near on fire, with bad burning smell, it was only Chocolate Chip Cookies, which means I am probably going to have to admit I need a new mixer, and I really want a Kitchen Aide.

Kitchen Aid Mixer especially the Professional 5 of my dreams, retail in around $300-500. Which is pretty close to the same price as a dog on sale. To put this in perspective when I do force myself out of bed in the deep pits of my depression that is December. I pretty much bake, it is my therapy, it makes me feel good about myself, and even if I curse my way through a batch of short bread, in the end at least I have short bread.

A Dog on the other hand is work, although I wouldnt bear the sole burden of it, I would be responsible for taking it for at least 1 walk a day, if not two. Although an excuse to drag myself out of the house would be healthy. A Dog will demand love and attention, may create conflict with the household Cats, or may stabilize them into a new dominance structure that brings some sort of normalcy before Baby. Then there is the whole, household dynamics of when the Baby comes, and how that will change. Will the Dog get walks? eat Diapers? Destroy Bassinet?  A Kitchen Aide will sit there unused and unloved without so much as a boo.

I cannot base the decision on my emotions, and my desire for a dog. I do want to at least meet the dog though, I wouldnt be able to take him home this week anyway, if I did decide. A Kitchen Aide would be a great boxing day sale item... of course that requires entering a store on boxing day, well week.

Le Sigh.... I just keep dreaming about a Dog, but I know that a Stand Mixer would make my life easier. One will help me loose weight and be healthy, the other will help me bake goodies that will help me gain weight.

Ugh, well it is a family decision, but I am the one that is really into a dog right now, if I wait a dog will show up... eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment